Friday, February 18, 2011

I see city people...

In the musical Li'l Abner there's a scene when the local country girls from "Dogpatch", realize they're going to the big city & they say with such excitement..."We're goin' to get city-fied!" I've always liked that line & I say it to myself everytime I go to the city to get "city-fied".....
which I did last weekend. I love going there to visit my brothers & sister & their families:)
I had a great time with them & I love them all soooo much!
Myself & three of my sisters-in-law spent a day walking around downtown Mesa shopping & browsing & having a great time. I love stuff like this! What's so interesting to me though is the way I feel about myself in these situations. As soon as I park my truck & walk into the first shop, I look around & I quickly become so self conscious. I am a clean, well groomed woman but when I get in that environment I feel like the last hick that rolled in on a covered wagon! I start worrying about my choice of clothing & whether or not my "roots need done" (love Steel Magnolias), & my hands! I have working hands and Yes...I do my own nails! I never really worry about these things at home...it's just different, I don't know how else to explain it other than to use this example...This morning I took my teenaged son to school early, so I could visit with one of his teachers, I felt completely comfortable walking into the school with him, still dressed in my walking clothes, white socks with my black crocs, no make-up & yesterdays hair... nobody batted an eye..."hey Cat, how's it going?" is all I heard. Oh I forgot...the track coach did ask if the track team could stop by my house for a drink during their run after school today.
"Sure thing...the hose is always on!"

4 comments:

  1. I never have been able to explain it either! I always joke to Danny that I have pack my very best everything when we visit down there. He thinks I'm crazy. Glad I'm not the only one -really, I am. But I don't do my own nails. Lacy's been handling that department going on two years now. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Cat that is SO true! the "city life" here is pretty competitive and can be a hassle. just today i walked into CostCo and felt a bit WT with day 2 hair but the baby needed formula so on i went! lol

    for the record, i thought you fit it JUST FINE, ma ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I never would have thought you would feel that way! I feel that way everytime we go down there, and I felt that way everyday we lived down there! I always tell Zach I'm too farmgirl to fit in down there!! Isn't JC the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike always says how he loves bringing his truck to Joseph City because it always seems like such a nice truck there. I agree with ol' John Denver. I'm glad I'm a country boy.
    We focus on what matters and let the rest of the sparkling trivialities slide. The city folk could learn a bit from that way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete