Monday, March 23, 2009

KABOOM!







I'm sure Ivin could be arrested for what he's doing, but it's Founder's Day & it's OK! At 6:00 a.m. on the dot we heard the oh so familiar sound that rings in our ears & screams "It's Founder's Day! Get up & come have a pancake!"Why do we love this so much? It's hard to expain, it's just a Joe City thang.




The flag raising started sharply at 6:30 a.m. My son Niclaas raised the flag with the help of Dylan Hansen (not related), Bryson Palmer & His leader Uncle Clarence. Two miracles happened on Founder's day this year there was absolutely no wind, amazing, but even more amazing, I know your thinking what could be more amazing than no wind on Founder's Day? Well, look closely at this picture. You'll see a flashy car who's owner has never before been seen before 10:00 a.m.







Founder's Day is always full of all kinds of activities. We've had rodeos with & with out horses, turkey shoots, archery shoots, 10K's, 5k's, basketball, volleyball. I've even heard of an activity that had something to do with pulling the head off of a chicken. Thank goodness that one died out, literally. This year Brian Martnineau organized a dirt bike & quad race down the river to Manilla wash & back. I came to witness it for myself & to watch my little brothers, Cory & Ezra Jansen, who rode their dirt bikes. Well kinda. Ezra's bike stalled at the start, he was left in the dust, but he got it going & came from behind & had a pretty good finish. Cory was in the lead & part way through the race his chain locked up, he wasn't able to finish. Two other Joe City boys had some hard luck too. Dillon Roberson's bike quit on him & Joey Richards misunderstood the markers & came back in the wrong direction. It was still alot of fun & everyone is hoping that it becomes a new tradition. There was a couple new activities introduced this year. A tractor driving skills contest, I didn't make it to that but I'm confident that there was some stiff competition. There was also an obstacle course for kids to ride their bikes through. It all ended with the traditional family dance that much to the delight of the teenagers was DJ'd not Blue Grass Band'd. (Did that make sense?)


Credit for this picture and title goes to my "Sister in Zion" Julie Clifford..

2 comments:

  1. This post was the next best thing to being there! Cat, you make me laugh out loud (never good in the library -remember the Music Man?). I think the Tractor-driving event is destined to become tradition. Just when you thought country bumpkins couldn't get more creative...
    The pictures rock -and they even captured that elusive creature (Mike) out of his dwelling. My question is, did he see his shadow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cory looks like grandpa in this pic and Ezra looks like dad from the seventys. I wish I could have been there but "helaas" (haylas) Insight was calling Bobs name and he can't be away from his secong love too long.

    ReplyDelete