Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Lost Boy & Grandma's Dog



As I drove up to my parents house today to pick up Seth after a shopping trip to Flagstaff with Annelie & Niclaas , I found my dad walking down the road, he flagged me over & told me Seth & Duchess (my mother's dog) were missing. He was walking around to the neighbors to ask for thier help. I sent Annelie & Niclaas up two different dirt roads to look for them. I had a pretty strong feeling that they headed out toward the back of my parents property. My dad & I started walking the trail that led to the back gate. Soon we saw Seth's little shoe prints & Duchess's prints on the trail. My brother Cory had taken my mom on his dirt bike with him down the trail before I got there but at that point we weren't sure where they were. We got to the gate & I turned to look back toward the house & I saw Annelie, Niclaas, Duchess & Seth running toward us. My Dad just hugged me & started crying so then I started crying, we were all so scared & seeing him run down the trail brought a tremendous amount of relief & emotion. Soon after Cory & my mom came down the trail. They had tracked him down a dirt road that led to another dirt road that led back to the main road. Seth's & Duchess's footprints were side by side all the way but by the time Cory had gotten to the end of that dirt road one of my parents neighbors had found him going down the main road & brought him to my parents house where Annelie & Niclaas were by that time. He was missing for about an hour & walked almost two miles. All he had to say to me was, "Mom, road, cars". It wasn't long before several of the neighbors were coming up the road to see if we had found him yet. A couple of them in thier pick-ups, another on a four wheeler. The neighbor who found him is a hunter & as Derron put it, "he glassed him up", that's hunting talk for "he looked through his binoculars". I'm so grateful to live in a place where neighbors are neighbors in every sense of the word. On the way home I think Niclaas summed it up for all of us when he told me, "Mom I was thinking what I would do with out him. I would give up everything to have him".



This isn't Duchess, but this is what she looks like. I'm so grateful that she sticks to Seth like glue. And her size would make anyone think twice about messing with her friend.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so glad that Seth is safe. That happened once with me I ended up calling 911 after running around the neighborhood screaming Nehamiahs name. Nothing shakes you more than the thought of losing one of those little raskels. I love that there foot steps never strayed from eachother.
    Give that boy a big kiss for me. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. That is scary. What a good dog. I can just hear Seth telling you all about his adventure. I'm so glad we have little Seth in our lives! (And I'm glad you blog. Even though I can literally watch what goes on during your day. I don't though. Promise...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Cat, Cory & I are doomed for grandparents... between my space case dad and yours paying attention to work, we can't have them as babysitters! ;)

    I am SO RELIEVED eveything turned out for the better with Sparky. {Dutchess is a bad influence!} 10 points to the small town lovin of taking care of one another. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cat it's Kelli. I'm glad my dog Caena aka Dutchess stuck by him! ;) Lol. What a cute story.

    ReplyDelete