Saturday, May 2, 2009

"It was made by those who are dead & the children of the dead keep it"

A little nod to J.R.R.Tolkein for all you Lord of the Rings fans. Anyone know which movie it came from? I had to tweek it a touch to make it fit but I think it works. So, In the words of Uncle Doyle... Anyway...... This is our creed & we say it with pride. Now you might think our little cemetery isn't much but spend a little time here & your mind will be changed. This humble spot of ground is the final resting place for some of the Lord's choicest men, women & children. You won't find lush green lawns dotted with marbled headstones but if you visit here you'll find headstones made by pioneer hands so old the engravings are all but gone. You'll find plots personalized by family & friends of those who rest there. You'll find the names of those founding fathers of our little town. You'll find the descendants of those founders with hoe & rake in hand caring for our little cemetery & spending a little time with those that have gone home.

Derron, great grandson of Joseph Christian Hansen & Emma Swenson Hansen.
Cat, great great great granddaughter of John & Sophia McLaws. Annelie, direct descendant of four of those first pioneers. She has been playing on or cleaning Nunna & Pumpa's plot since she could walk. She knows who she is & where she came from, giving her the foundation to where she is going.

4 comments:

  1. "Return of the King" Appropriate, huh? Ever since I was a small child, I've loved the cemetery and the stories of families that can be told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something about that cemetery makes it more peaceful than any other.
    You were meant to blog. It does my heart good to take in a little piece of home and "the Simple Life" now and then.
    I love how the crows left their mark on the sign. It gives it that earthy touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your postcards and blogs!! It makes me so proud to be from Joseph City and I can't wait to live there again!!! Keep them coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cat! I love your blog! I found the link on Alicia's and just love to see what is going on on Joseph City. I hope everything is going well for you all. We can't wait to see you all.

    ReplyDelete