Sunday, May 31, 2009

I Love Sunday in Joe City.

There are so many things that I love about Sunday in this little town I won't list them all but I'll tell you about today. When I woke up I knew it was Sunday because it was so quiet. No lawn mowers, no weed eaters, no tractors. We made our way to church & found our usual spot on the 2nd row from the front on the left side, that's our bench & everyone knows it, mostly because of the show that Seth puts on every Sunday. It's hard to miss us. The deacons take their usual spot right across from us on the front row, they are Seth's most attentive audience. Sometimes he thinks he's one of them & he'll go sit with Nic. Today he stood with his big brother & the rest of the deacons while the sacrament was being blessed. After the bread was passed to him he turned to me & said "good bread mom mom". There was the usual youth speaker & then the new couple in our ward gave talks. Brother & Sister Layden, a very fun couple , she's my new 2nd counselor. Anyway, we had our usual rest hymn after the first two speakers, only when the chorister , Aunt Sara Mae, stood & motioned for the congregation to stand & sing there was no music playing. Grandpa Gene, our ward organist, was asleep at the organ. This is not an unusual thing for our ward, Grandpa has fallen asleep many times at the organ. He has been known to nod off & hit an organ key or two during the sacrament prayer. After Sara Mae walked over to the organ & woke him up we proceeded with the song. Now, there has been a new, how should I say it, situation, issue, happening, however you want to look at it in our ward. Sitting behind us most Sundays is a certain elderly lady who shall remain nameless, but I'll tell you if you ask, who has recently aquired a cell phone. This cell phone rings almost every Sunday. One Sunday it was ringing from her purse as she walked down the aisle to her seat & after she sat down she proceeded to answer her phone. Derron & I were quite amused by the whole thing, it kept us laughing all through church. Well today was no different, her phone began to ring during Brother Layden's talk. It rang several times before the voice mail finally picked up the call. After the phone stopped ringing she got up & walked out to return the call. Derron was working today so there was no one to enjoy the humor of it with me so I laughed to myself. After the closing prayer our ward, like alot of others, has recently adopted the practice of singing one more hymn after the prayer while the sunday school & primary teachers leave to prepare their class rooms. Well to end another typical sacrament meeting "Jammin' Gene" played the wrong hymn. He played it clear through while everyone smiled & chuckled. Sara Mae eventually put her arms down & let him play. After he was finished Bro. Bushman, who was conducting, stood up & said "We'll just forget the song today".

To end another perfect Sunday in Joe City, we were expecting our hometeachers who had made an appointment for 7:00p.m. The door bell rang right on time only when I answered the door there was the usual junior companion from the teachers quorom but with him was an even junior'er companion from the teachers quorom. The usual senior companion from the elders quorom had to go out of town, so this jr. companion found himself another companion & fulfilled the assignment. I looked out to the driveway & saw a car & I asked the oldest of the two if he had driven here, I knew he wasn't old enough to drive, he said "No, my mom's in the car". So we sat down with our family & were home taught by a 14 year old boy & a 15 year old boy. We ended with a prayer, thanked them & sent them on their way with a fudgsicle. I love this town.

6 comments:

  1. Next time I'm in town, I'm gonna have you re-tell the cell-phone story, names included.
    There are certain things I've come to love about a single's ward (the option of flirting at the top of the list, the dead-quiet during the sacrament, a close second). But there's nothing like the richness of raw experiences you get from attending a family ward in a rural area. It makes me want to pull out my harmonica and play We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you need is a banjo, and a fittle for back ground music and youve got yourself the lyrics to a number one hit blue grass song. I say you give a list of old ladies in the ward and we all get to guess and who ever wins gets a sheet of your famouse cinnamon rolls next time we come to town. I love your posts there is nothing like a small town sunday. Our ward just downsized from the one thouand members we used to have to four hundred we only have to open one over flow and close the other two. How nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt think that I missed Joe City until I saw your blog! Your pictures are great! I enjoy seeing the familiar faces and places of Joe City. Your house was always a JOY to drive by everyday! That is a great neighborhood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ug! This is exactly why Sunday's aren't really my favorites in JC...I didn't be born or married into any of the major families, so Sunday is just us, walking around town watching the Millers, Hansens, Fish's and whoever else get together. ug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your always welcome over here on Porter Kristal. We have all kinds of Hansen adoptees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is straight out of an old movie :) I love it. It was so good (and wierd) to SEE you in Mesa but FAB to catch up. Wish you'd come more often! Seeing that 4th of July post makes me think we'll be there..... :)

    See you then! xo

    ReplyDelete