Saturday, May 9, 2009

Peculiar & Proud of it!

I was outside working in my yard a couple of days ago when I came upon this unusual scene. What is so unsual you ask? Well, it is rare to ever see the old feed truck across the street from my house. It is a permanent fixture at Manilla. It's usual route is the length of the corral & back while the silage rolls out the top to feed the cattle. I watched a while to see why my father in law had driven it into to town & then I realized when he grabbed the hose & raised the hood, it must be time for it's centennial flushing of the radiator.

Part of my purpose in starting this blog was to share some of the unique Joe City goings on. I say unique but we just think it's all quite normal. In fact, we don't think that there is anything unusual until an outsider points it out to us. So today I'll share a story that for an outsider will seem "peculiar" but if you are a true Joe City person, you'll find that it sounds like home. This story involves our beloved cemetery that I wrote about a few posts ago. Bill, a local resident of Joe City, had past away. He was an elderly man so it was expected, no tragedy or anything. His family went about arranging his funeral & contacted those in charge of the cemetery plots in order to purchase a spot for Bill to be laid to rest. Well, there was a woman who lived here many years ago who had purchased a plot for herself but had not been heard from in years, no one knew where she went & there was no information to contact her. So it was decided that the woman had probably passed on herself & was buried somewhere else or that having been gone for so long, probably wasn't interested in spending the rest of her earthly stay here so, Bill could have her plot. Bill's family went on with the funeral, Bill was laid to rest & all was well, until a phone call a few weeks later from the woman's family. She had just passed away & it was her wish to be laid to rest in the plot that she purchased all those years ago. Well, with a little chuckle about the irony of it, the Priests Quorom from my ward organized themselves & with shovels in hand & a tractor, went to the cemetery to dig Bill up. They re-buried him in a brand new plot just for him, with no previous owners. The woman's family came & laid her to rest in her plot & they never knew a thing.

3 comments: